Katharine's Progress

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 10 and Thoughts about my Vacation

DAY 10. Some research has shown that it takes between 21-30 days to break and form new habits, so I’m almost halfway there already!

Last night was the TF+ weekly check-in and group workout. Drum roll…. 12 lbs lost since the assessment 2 weeks ago, and only 1 week on the meal plan! So proud of myself so far, 8% of my goal complete already.

I love my Mondays now, I can’t wait to see my new TF+ friends and see how they’re doing. Leanne also had a surprise for us this week, she had another client come in to talk with us and then join our workout. This lovely lady has been on the meal plan and working out for 8 months now (including a 2 month vacation in Europe) and has lost 73 lbs. It’s so inspiring to hear about someone else who’s had the same struggles and triumphed over them. Not only that, to hear that she was able to go a vacation and not be totally sabotaged, that’s fantastic.

It was a great workout, a little harder than last week, but it was actually great because the workout eased the soreness from Saturday morning's workout. Wes had us do this one core exercise where we lie on our back and hold the exercise ball between our legs and arms, then lower alternating arm and leg at the same time. omg. I think he must enjoy torturing us. Though I have to admit, it was a little bit fun to watch the others do that one while safely at another station... ;)

I’ve been thinking about my upcoming vacation next week. It's a cruise for 3 days followed by 3 days in San Francisco. I have to say that while I’m determined to stick with this over the vacation, I’m nervous as well. This phase of the meal plan is the cleanse, so no dairy, flour or alcohol… all things that will be tempting me more than usual. The cruise ship has all manner of wonderful cheeses, fried foods, cocktails and desserts, and San Francisco is one of the most fun culinary cities on the west coast. At home, things are getting to be routine, we don’t eat take-out or keep tempting stuff in the house, so it doesn’t cross my mind much. For the first time, I’m actually packing workout clothes in my suitcase (well, I’ve packed them in the past and never used them). I’ve also decided that I better make some specific vacation goals/promises:

1.       I will work out at least twice, as there will be a gym on board the cruise ship.
2.       I will stick to my no dairy, no flour cleanse.
3.       I will follow my meal plan as best I can, or at least some form of it.
4.       I will continue my journal and my blog while away to keep me on track.
5.       I will use this vacation not to gorge on fattening food and drink, but rather to relax, recharge and enjoy the activities and sights.

I guess the point I’m trying to keep in mind is that something will always get in the way or be there to provide an excuse… vacation, family get-together, change of job, moving, etc… I just won’t let myself give in to any more of these excuses.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great time on vacation...
    A little worried about your 3rd goal..."as best I can or at least some form of it" sounds like you are suggesting that you are not going to follow the meal plan. The temptations are definitely there, all you can eat buffets, sandwich bars, ice-cream machines but there are lots of ways to keep on your meal plan as it currently is. Cruises always have lots of options so I'm sure you won't have to search far for foods that fit your meal plan. BTW mention of no dairy or flour...what about alcohol? Also, how often do you work out now? Twice in 6 (probably 8 days given travel time)? Perhaps a more detailed schedule of exercise. Yes, of course have a marvelous time..so much to see and do I would just hate for you to come home and have your trip marred by thoughts that you didn't stick to what you probably should have. I believe in you Katharine. You are an amazing woman and I want this for you because (and only because) you want it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it does sound a bit vague. My reference to 'some form of it' is more in the sense that because I won't have access to making green smoothies or protein powder shakes and stuff that I have at home, I will try to play around with the meal plan to work with what I have available. Like veggie omelets for breakfast and salads for lunch. I definitely have no intention of going for broke on the buffets or ice cream stations, lol. I've been working out 3 times a week, and I will have a TF+ workout on the Saturday before I leave and the Saturday when I get back, so it's 6 days on vacation and I think 2-3 workouts would be good to aim for. I agree that I need to make a more detailed schedule and plan for the trip, I'll definitely be working on that this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so lovely to meet you and the others yesterday - sometimes my motivation slips a bit and so seeing you all was a great push for me! :) Your vacation sounds amazing - and make sure you enjoy yourself and not worry about food the whole time (it is easy to obsess when out of your comfort zone!). When I travel, I have found two things really help - when there is no smoothie for breakfast, I break it down and have fruit + salad (sounds odd for breakfast, but it does work!). Then make sure you have the water you usually get in the smoothie throughout the day. The other thing is this simple phrase "can I have the dressing on the side please". So simple, but when eating in restaurants and when you can't control your food, make sure to state what you want when you order (I usually have to take the nuts and cheese off the salad as well unfortunately). It is a daunting thing going away and trying to follow the meal plan, but you are doing so well and that will be your motivation! Good luck, enjoy your time away and you will do wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete