Katharine's Progress

Friday, September 27, 2013

DAY 13 and Thoughts on Comfort

DAY 13. Keeping it short and sweet today, so much to do before the vacation! Last night was not the greatest. I had to work much later than usual because of a downtown showing, and by the time I got home it was late, I was tired, cranky and not in the mood to cook. I made some plain air-popped popcorn and had a big glass of water and sat on the couch to decompress. Although I didn’t have my planned meal, I cling to the fact that at least I didn’t make a poor choice like I used to. On nights like that, I would usually order pizza or make mac and cheese. Comforting foods. Instead of turning to those unhealthy comforts, I made a healthy snack, called my dad and then my best friend for a chat. I made some new playlists to put on my iPod for my vacation. I curled up in bed and my boyfriend read a book aloud to me… his latest read is Stephen King’s The Shining. It actually turned into a lovely evening even without the comforts that I used to depend on, in the form of fattening foods.

Next time I have a bad day or want to turn to those unhealthy staple foods, I’ll remind myself again to find solace in another activity:

1.       Take a bubble bath
2.       Read a book
3.       Make a new playlist
4.       Go for a stroll
5.       Clean out my closet (somehow this one might never make the cut…)
6.       Call a friend or family member
7.       Make-out with boyfriend ;)
Any other suggestions that work for others?? Please feel free to comment, I could use the extra suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment