Katharine's Progress

Friday, September 20, 2013

Day 6 and Thoughts About Pasta

DAY 6, omg, woke up so sore from yesterday morning’s workout. I think this means there must be abs under there somewhere cause I can definitely feel them today!

The trainers at Team Fitness are awesome. Chris pushed me to my limits, but I also felt great camaraderie, like he knows what I’m going through and really wants me to succeed. We joked and chatted (as best I could being out of breath) and he told me about a friend of his that started a weight loss blog and his struggles along the way. I look forward to seeing the trainers and to seeing my co-conspirators in the TF+ class on Monday nights when we do our check-in and group workout. It’s a really cool group of people who all have a larger amount of weight to lose and are all working toward that goal together. For once, it’s nice to have some like-minded people who understand what each other are going through, and trainers that understand us as well. There are some inherent challenges and set-backs that make going to some of the regular fitness classes a struggle, and I found that in some of the regular fitness classes out there, I felt embarrassed. In the TF+ class, I don’t feel that same frustration at not being able to do a particular exercise (and end up sitting out more than exercising) or embarrassment at being the largest person in the class.

Yesterday was my boss's birthday so I went out and bought the cake for the office and with sheer willpower, I actually said no to a piece! I think my boss was disappointed but I've told my co-workers about my plan so they didn't push it. That's a great thing about telling people about my weight loss goals, they want to help and it wasn't too awkward or anything that I was refusing, cause they knew why. 

Last night I went grocery shopping on the way home… for the first time ever, I ran out of greens before the end of the week, lol. Usually they sit in the crisper until they start producing new life forms, then they go down the garbage chute. It’s almost surreal to myself how many changes I’ve made in only a week, but not only that, how I’ve been sticking to it. I bought a new toy last night, a julienne-slicer to make vegetable noodles with. I am half Italian so loving pasta is just part of my DNA, so when I found out that pasta was off the table, at least at first, it was tough. With my new slicer I made spaghetti out of zucchini last night, with a little herb, basil, lemon zest and light olive oil. It was delicious! Totally hit the spot and curbed my pasta cravings. That alongside some salad and chia-crusted salmon… I thought it was a pretty damn good dinner.
 
Me, my new toy, and the dinner resulting 

I’ve gotten pretty adept at planning my meals already. I pack them up as a cook dinner the night before. My boyfriend has even figured out the plan (which I keep taped to the fridge), so last night I was pleasantly surprised that he had taken the fish out of the freezer to defrost before I got home. J It does require more planning… and more Tupperware… but not only am I losing pounds, I’m saving money! Great side effect of planning and making your own meals is not spending money on eating out. This was a huge problem for me; there are about 30 restaurants within 3 blocks of my work so I was spending so much extra cash and usually making bad food decisions. Today my lunches look a lot different:



No comments:

Post a Comment