Katharine's Progress

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 50 and Thoughts on the first 10% gone!

DAY 50. My Saturday weigh-in this week was a good one again, down another 2.4 lbs. I started at 296.6 and have lost 29.6 lbs so far which puts me at 9.98% of my body weight lost so far. Close enough to 10% I think, lol. I've been doing some online research and that first 10% is definitely a very important first step.

As an overweight person, the health benefits of losing just 10% of your weight are amazingly positive. That first 10% significantly lowers your risks of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, certain cancers, sleep apnea symptoms, and can increase vitality and energy. That first 10% also gives you a reality check and a better sense of the next part of your weight loss journey, especially if you still have a ways to go, as I do.

I'm so excited to reach this milestone, which coincides pretty closely with my first 30 lbs lost. I found a Groupon for a haircut and highlights, which I've decided is my reward for this first milestone. Tracy, Tristan and I were talking about how it's important to have those rewards for each smaller goal reached along the way, non-food rewards that is. Another great benefit to keeping up a steady weight loss is that now once a week, I can add a pasta meal to my day. Preferably gluten free, and definitely whole wheat. No cream sauce, but a small triangle of Laughing Cow cheese will make a plain marinara more creamy and decadent without adding many calories. I'm so excited for dinner tonight! Tonight will be the first taste of pasta in 2 months!!!

I've started to fit back into some of the clothes that I've outgrown and kept hidden at the back of my closet. Yesterday I dragged out a cute maroon-coloured shirt dress that I haven't worn in about 2 years and it fit! I felt great going out with my boyfriend yesterday, I felt more sexy and confident than I have in awhile. Just seeing that validation through the fit of my clothes is huge! One other benefit that my boyfriend has noticed is that he says I don't snore much anymore, sometimes not at all. I'm really happy about this, cause it caused me a lot of shame and embarrassment thinking that he was losing sleep because of me.

I know that sometimes my blog can seem disproportionately optimistic, but that's not to say that this process has been easy. It has been really hard. Every day something challenges me, it's just that it feels really good to rise to the occasion. I am a generally optimistic person, but for those who are sitting at home and reading my blog, thinking about beginning their own weight loss journey... just do it! The actual decision to begin was the hardest one I made. After hearing from Team Fitness that I made it the next phase of interviews, I had to take a day or two to decide whether I was really ready to do this. I agonized over it. I was so afraid of both making a change and failing at it. I know too, that not everyone has the amazing opportunity I've been given by Team Fitness. However, there are tons of options for those who can't afford meal planning services and personal training. Team Fitness offers group bootcamps and partner training. Personally I'll be sticking with the TF+ bootcamps even after my contest sessions end.  I love working with the trainers and having the support of my TF+ friends. My health is worth the cost of taking a couple bootcamps each week and being with that support group at TF. Not eating out and making my own food has been saving me money so I'll be putting that towards bootcamps/training. Also, lots of community centres have free classes a couple times a week. And no one will charge you a dime to put on your runners and go for a jog! Check out the library for some clean eating diet books, the Wheat Belly ones are really good. There will always be excuses, but deciding to rise above those excuses and take control of your life and health is the most important decision you can make. Some days can be really f*ing hard, but every single day I am so grateful and proud that I turned myself around and starting taking my health seriously.


My visual inspiration of reaching my goal!



No comments:

Post a Comment