Katharine's Progress

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Day 60 and Thoughts on movie popcorn

DAY 60. Hard to believe it's been 2 months already.

I met with some girlfriends for a coffee and movie last night. Now I remember why I avoid Starbucks these days. When I worked for Starbucks back in university and for a few years after, I probably gained 20-30 lbs from the pastries and drinks alone. With free drinks on shift and employee samples and discounts, geez... you get the idea. The one time of year when everything culminated to create the best drinks and pastries was around Christmas. Pumpkin scones, cranberry bliss bars, eggnog lattes... omg. I used to get a grande eggnog latte (light, of course, a little less guilt, but not much.. sort of like ordering a huge fattening meal with a diet coke, which I used to do too) and one of those decadent pastries, and sometimes a pastry to go too. Not these days... one healthy option that I like around Christmas is their Joy tea, so that's what I had.

At the movie I caved and got a popcorn. That tantalizing smell just did me in. It's my favourite thing in the world. I seriously think that if I could survive on just one food and one drink it would be movie popcorn and chocolate milk. Yup, that's the truth. I know it was not the best decision, but I had stuck to my meal plan all day (which is mostly salad this week) and I opted for a kids size. I could tell the guy at the counter wanted to laugh at me as he asked if I wanted the snowman or the princess toy with that. I self-righteously answered that I wanted a princess. Obviously.

With about 300 calories for a kids size unbuttered versus the large with layered butter that I used to get at around 1700 calories... I felt a little tinge of guilt, but don't truly regret that little treat as I was good all day, had a morning workout, and will be doing a yoga session with my Girl Guides tonight as well. I will also definitely have to do my full 60 minutes of cardio on Thursday.

Just to ruin everyone's enjoyment of their movie popcorn, here's a chart to give you an idea of what this treat can be guilty of...





No comments:

Post a Comment