Katharine's Progress

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 64 and Thoughts on dependency

DAY 64. Tough week, with the extra restrictions because of my 1 lb loss last week. Worth it though! Lost 2.5 this week, take that last week me!

Great workout on Saturday morning with Tracy and Tristan. Wes had us alternate strength and cardio. I forgot my heart rate monitor, so every time I thought I was working hard, because I couldn't gauge my HR level, I just pushed myself harder. I was red as a tomato by the end, but I felt great. I really love working out with our little trio group. We've really bonded over the past 2 months, and I like that we all truly understand what each is going through. I love that I can talk to Tracy not only about how our week of diet/exercise went, but also about other struggles and triumphs going on in our lives. After this month I won't have any contest sessions left, but I will definitely be continuing with the TF+ group. Leanne will be working on the meal plan with me for another 10 months, but the exercise portion is a huge contributor to my effective weight loss and healthy lifestyle. I know it sounds sappy, but it's been such a special experience so far and I don't want it to ever end.

Went to the Vancouver Giants game with some friends last night. It was so different than the last time I went. Last time there were about 5 beers consumed, a large bucket of buttered popcorn and a salted pretzel. This time, just my water bottle and a small popcorn. It was still just as fun though. While the guys talked stats, my girl friend and I spent the game laughing at the players as they hit the boards (maybe that was just me laughing, weird compulsion I guess) and judging the terrible movember mustaches present on and off the ice. And, omg, when we got up at intermission and climbed the stairs, all those squats from earlier that morning came flooding back! Gah, definitely felt them!

The memories of things like parties, movies and sports events are not about the food or drinks. I don't go to see a hockey game to get drunk and overindulge in crap food, I go to be with my friends and watch the spectacle. That is something I have learned over the past couple months, to re-prioritize how I enjoy social interactions without depending on food. I didn't realize at the time how much I depended on it.

Dependency: the state of relying on or being controlled by someone or something else.

I think that if you asked my friends to describe me, they would say that I'm funny, sweet, kind, loud, animated, and stubborn. I don't think any of them would describe me as reliant or subordinate to anyone or anything. Looking at how much I submitted to food over the past years disappoints me. Not any more. I own me and my life, and I am the only one who controls me. If I don't take crap from anyone, why was I taking that crap from myself? It feels so good to own and be in control of myself again.



No comments:

Post a Comment