Katharine's Progress

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 54 and Thoughts on sweets

DAY 54 and my obliques are killing me! A lot of the time, it's the seemingly easy and simple exercises that hurt later. Geez! My boyfriend is working late tonight, so while I want to lay on my new couch and watch Netflix, I'm going to get to the gym and do my 30 mins of cardio that I promised myself I would do. Dinner will be so much more delicious after a good workout.

Tried my pad thai recipe again for lunch, few modifications... was feeling lazy so I used a bag of Dole broccoli slaw instead of julienning all the veggies. Dumped in all the ingredients from my original recipe and added 1 tbsp. of almond butter as well. The almond butter really added a nice flavour. I think I'm going to stick with this modification from now on, yum!

It's weird that sometimes things that I didn't care for much in the past are now sort of tempting to me. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, but now every time I walk past someplace with really delicious pastries, my mouth waters. Today I was at Park Royal and I walked by Purdy's and I seriously considered getting just one strawberry or raspberry crème (my favs). I stood frozen outside the shop for at least 30 seconds before I kept walking. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, as I kept stepping towards and away from the store like a crazy person.

The thing is about my new lifestyle and diet changes, I'm only cheating myself if I cheat. I'm only hurting myself if I cheat. I'm only disappointing myself if I cheat. It can be a real challenge to come to terms with the fact that I can only depend on myself with this. No one is going to follow me around whispering in my ear when I want to eat a pint of ice cream or a bucket of movie theatre popcorn. No one is going to rouse me out of bed to get to the gym. I think that's one of the hardest parts of making diet and lifestyle changes, you can only help yourself. Now, that's not to say that friends and family can't be encouraging and supportive, they are definitely the thing that supports and motivates me to do better and get healthy. They keep me accountable. But they don't stand next to me all day, telling me what's right and wrong. I have to do that for myself. Writing things down every day helps too. Having my blog and my daily food journal gives me an outlet. I've also found that I really love sharing my journey with others. Given the statistics about overweight and obese North Americans, I know that my journey is one that many have been on before.

Another thing that all this has made me realize... I need to find some good raw dessert recipes to curb any sweetness cravings.

No comments:

Post a Comment