Katharine's Progress

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day 59 and Thoughts on carb sensitivity

DAY 59. Haven't been online for the past couple days, just enjoying the long weekend. It was a glorious little vacation actually, especially given that work has been more stressful over the past little bit. Saturday morning I got up and did my weigh-in, only down 1 lb this week. I know that every pound lost is a celebration, but I am disappointed with myself. On Thursday I had told myself I would do 60 minutes of cardio on my own, but I only did 30 mins. I was also pretty hungry and had sweet cravings last week, which Leanne thinks might be because I'm carb-sensitive and the pasta meal last Sunday may have set off those cravings. I had popcorn as a snack almost every night. I also didn't get my full 8 cup water intake every day. I find that to be one of the most challenging things to get enough of. Carb sensitivity just means that when I eat higher levels of carbs, my blood sugar may spike more than others, causing me to have responses like cravings and such. This is certainly not ideal for someone who likes pasta so much, but at the end of the day, my health is worth more than pasta (better not let my Italian grandmother hear me saying that!). Because of the lower weight loss this week, and to control any carb cravings/triggers, my meal plan is a little more restrictive this week... meaning more raw leafy greens.

My workout on Saturday with Tristan and Tracy was intense! Wes had us do a cycle of 5 flights of stairs followed by strength exercises. We did the cycle 5 times, making the total stairs climbed equivalent to the Empire State Building! Woo! When I got home I had a hot bath. I find that after an intense workout, the hot water relaxes me and my muscles don't ache so much the next day. Well, so much for that theory this time. I was definitely walking funny the next day thanks to those stairs, lol. Saturday was blissfully relaxing after that, my boyfriend and I made brunch (egg white omelet with veggies and salsa) and watched movies that afternoon.

Sunday was my cousin's baby shower. Any one trying to lose weight should probably just steer clear of any baby or bridal showers. So much delicious looking food... cupcakes, squares, cheese and crackers, mini sandwiches... drool. I was chatting with one of our family friends and kept glancing longingly at the cupcakes. She laughed and just said, 'nah, they weren't any good, don't worry.' It was a sweet attempt to divert me and I appreciated it. I ate some carrots instead.

I woke up Monday with a headache. We had a TF+ workout at noon and I debated back and forth skipping it if my head didn't stop pounding. It didn't but I went anyways. It wasn't the greatest workout I've ever done, but I'm really glad I went. Any workout is better than no workout.

Fresh new day today. Woke up feeling good. Had an early workout with Sarah this morning. It was a particularly challenging one, not because I was doing particularly insane cardio or anything, but the compound exercises were tough today. I didn't think I could make it through the side planks but I did! Before work I made some roasted tilapia with curry powder to go with my salad for lunch. I've never tried it before, so that should be interesting.

As I want to aim for a higher weight loss this week to counter last week's lower number, I thought I'd make some goals for myself:
  1. Get at least 8 cups of water in every day (always a challenge for me, but I can do it)
  2. Do 60 minutes of cardio on Thursday and 30 mins after my Saturday workout
  3. Try 2 new raw salads (I'll hunt some down on therawterian.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment