Katharine's Progress

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 21 and Thoughts on Tofu

DAY 21 and back to the grind. I got up early and did my weigh-in for the week. Thankfully I had maintained my weight loss over my vacation. It feels good to be back and on the meal plan again. It was almost a relief in a way. With the meal plan, I don't have to count calories or worry about what to order or agonize about planning my next meal. It's pretty simple, I eat what's on the plan, and while I can play around with lots of veggies and spices, it's fairly simple. No cheese or bacon showing up on salads unannounced.

I had a great workout today at the gym. I always feel so great after working out, I see what people mean when they talk about how exercise is addictive. That feeling is great. It's like elation and exhaustion mixed, with a real sense of accomplishment. I know that it will only get better too, as my body grows stronger. I can't keep up a very quick pace on the treadmill, but I do a fast walk on an incline to get my heart rate up. It'll be cool when can continuously jog or run. 

After the workout I went and stocked up on groceries. I pretty much stick to the peripheries of the store: veggies and fruits, egg whites, fish and tofu, and some bulk grains like quinoa and chia. I'm a huge fan of this delicious marinated slow-roasted tofu from the salad bar at Whole Foods so I thought I would try to make some at home. I generally like tofu, having been vegetarian for the past several years. To me it almost tastes like chicken, but that could just be because I forget what real chicken tastes like. 

My recipe for slow-roasted tofu:
- extra firm tofu, drained and chopped into cubes
- balsamic vinegar
- dijon mustard
- garlic, diced
- black pepper, thyme and oregano

Basically I just marinated the tofu cubes in the other ingredients. I slow-roasted the cubes on a non-stick tray for 1 hour at 350 degrees. Our oven runs a bit hot, so next time I'm going to try a little lower heat for a little less time. They should have a nice even light brown exterior and a chewy texture inside. With a nice salad and balsamic vinaigrette, they were perfect. I think I may try a more Asian-fusion style next time with some Chinese five-spice and some Bragg's seasoning (tastes so much like soya sauce, it's uncanny), and maybe a splash of sesame oil.

I also roasted some almonds. Normally I keep them in the freezer and just eat them raw, but I thought I try roasting some. Super easy, just roast on a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet at 300 degrees for 20 minutes. They smelled sooo good, oh my goodness. This afternoon I made myself a pot of Lady Grey tea and cut up an apple and counted out my 10 almonds. I settled on the couch with my boyfriend to watch the MasterChef episode that we missed this week. Perfection. My boyfriend smelled my little snack and asked if he could try a roasted almond. I must have looked so hurt as I responded with 'You want one of my ten almonds?' that he laughed and got a couple from the tray in the kitchen instead. Very wise. It really was a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tofu recipe! We love tofu over here so can't wait to try it (btw Costco sell great tofu for a really great price in their deli department) We too shop the peripheries of the stores...just crap down the isles! We buy our apples and pears from locals on the island and they are so good -- nothing like store bought! Waiting for our 60lbs of pears to be ready!! Funny, I'm sure 10 almonds do the trick just the same as eating a bowl of them. Savoring is so nice and makes food taste all the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tofu came out a little tougher than I wanted, the outside had a bit of crust, so definitely try at a little lower for less time and just keep an eye on them. I'm going to try again next week.

    Yeah, I need to start checking out more farmers markets, the flavours can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete