Katharine's Progress

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Day 22 and Thoughts on scare tactics

DAY 22. This morning I got right back into my usual routine and packed my lunch before work. Breakfast was an egg white omelet with veggies, salsa and some baked julienned yams. The yams were really good, they didn't need any oil, just some grated garlic and a sprinkle of dried rosemary. Popped in the oven at 350 til they were crispy. They were a perfect side to the omelet. Yum!

 
Last night my boyfriend and I watched 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead', the documentary about the Australian guy who cured his long time illness and lost about 90 lbs through doing a juice cleanse. The movie was really amazing. I don't think I'll be doing a full juice cleanse anytime soon, but the green smoothies I make daily are along the same lines, and the meal plan that I'm on lends itself to a lot of the same ideas. I think some of the scare tactics are pretty effective, it definitely made me not want to cheat ever. And my boyfriend now wants to try a juice cleanse and start to follow my meal plan more closely with me. It's weird in a way, to see the Americans they interview in the documentary, some in total denial about how they live, and realize that I was not far off of that only a short while ago.

For a long time I had fooled myself into not seeing what I was doing to myself. When I looked in the mirror, I didn't see an overweight woman, even as my dress size crept towards 3X. It was the TF+ assessment that really put the fear into me. I had no idea I got so close to 300 lbs. At the last session, Leanne told me that one of the reasons that she chose me as the 1st place winner for the program was not only the application and interview, but also my reaction to the assessment. Wes, the trainer, had just done my weight and body assessment with me and I was in shock as to the number on the scale. She said that my face looked pale and ashen and that I looked like I might throw up as I told her the results of the assessment. I remember that moment too, I felt the blood drain from my face and I felt sick and ashamed. Leanne said that in that moment, she knew I was ready to do what it would take. And I will. I absolutely will.

Anyhow, I digress... so as my boyfriend and I watched the movie, I was touched to hear him say to me (not verbatim, but pretty close): 'I don't really see you as one of those overweight people. You're on the right path, so you're not an overweight person anymore, you're a healthy skinny person in transition. It's like your in your cocoon right now, which is always a lot bigger than the actual butterfly, and you'll emerge as a butterfly at the end of the process.' It was such a sweet metaphor, he always has such a way with words.
 
Imagination is a beautiful thing. And essential for weight loss. Creative uses of vegetables and spices are crucial. And, most importantly, imagination is what gets me through those bowls of oatmeal... :)

2 comments:

  1. You make me tear up and laugh all in the same post...wow you're good!!
    That breakfast looks awesome!! We make egg muffins here. Basically omelets in a muffin shape which is fantastic for on the go breakfasts...beat eggs, add chopped pepper (or whatever veggies) and spice, pour in muffin tins and bake for about 20 minutes at 350.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) I love reading the comments and I'm so glad that there are others enjoying my blog, it's not just my therapy, lol. I will definitely have to try those egg muffins!

    ReplyDelete