Katharine's Progress

Friday, October 4, 2013

Day 20 and Thoughts on being home again

DAY 20 and home again. Obviously with the cruise being cancelled, my vacation was not as I planned. However, my boyfriend and I headed to Bellingham, where we spent 3 nights in a 2-star hotel and just relaxed, read books, shopped, saw some movies and enjoyed each others' company.

The first morning, I had some continental breakfast, skipping over the 400 calorie muffins in favour of some plain oatmeal, a banana and some black coffee. I checked out the hotel gym (one of the reasons I picked that shitty hotel over the 10 others on the street), but it was terrible. Google informed me that there was a local YMCA so I headed over to get my workout in. The YMCA gym was actually really great, tons of cardio machines and weights. Using my heart rate monitor as a gauge, I really tried to push myself like the TF trainers usually do. It was a great tool to have. In fact, the next morning I was actually a bit sore.

The one thing that was super hard was trying to find places that I could eat at. My boyfriend was following the 'anything goes' vacation diet plan, so he didn't care where we went, but I had to check out menus ahead to see if it was plausible, a much better plan than going to the restaurant only to leave without ordering. Not only that, once I got to each place, I agonized over what to order and how to modify it so that it wasn't coated in batter, deep fried and piled with cheese. Seriously. It was like the land of fried stuff with cheese. Half the time I had to send things back because they unexpectedly had bacon or cheese. Also, I found that even when I asked for plain grilled salmon or plain steamed veggies, they were super salty or greasy. Gross. My body was not happy with a couple of those meals, even despite my best efforts, and I was really trying hard. It was also the first vacation that I didn't have a single drink, which suited my boyfriend just fine cause he had a built-in designated driver.

Despite the setbacks, I check my weight upon arrival back at my apartment, and I had maintained the current weight loss and not gained. I loved the vacation time, but I also can't wait to get back to my usual meal plan and routine. It was interesting to see how quickly my body responded to me in telling me it was not happy with the deviation from the strict plan, even with all the willpower I had exercised.

Well, back to it tonight! And workout tomorrow at TF. Good to be back.

Two of my favourite quotes from the trip:

[At a gas station]. Me: 'Where's a nice place to get dinner around here?' Gas station lady: 'Well, I guess about the nicest place around here would be the Pizza Hut."

[At Applebee's] Me: 'Could I return this? I just wanted a plain green salad' Waitress: 'I'm so sorry, the kitchen couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want bacon.'

1 comment: