Katharine's Progress

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Day 37 and Thoughts on Wine

DAY 37. Brutal workout yesterday with Tristan and Tracy. Our trainer Wes really kicked our butts. I felt like jello afterwards. I was showing Tracy something on the computer right after the workout and my arms could barely stay up to type on the keyboard, it was that tough! Today I can definitely feel every exercise, especially my arms. Felt good though, especially after what seemed like a restless sort of week. After I got home I felt really productive, so when my boyfriend went to meet up with a buddy for a few hours, I decided to clean the apartment. Seriously, I cleaned for just over 4 hours. It's amazing how much junk accumulates. Everything looks fantastic now, the prettiest bathtub and closets you have ever seen. :)  Plus, you can burn up to 200 calories an hour cleaning moderately, so it was like I had two workouts that day! I had a refreshing shower afterwards and settled on the couch with a bowl of soup for lunch and felt accomplished.

When my boyfriend got home, we both had dinner and got gussied up to go to a wine tasting event that I had free tickets for. I made sure to make it a light meal, as I wanted to see if there would be a few vegetarian appetizers to go with the wine tasting. I did really well, I had a few tastings, and as each one is just a little sip of wine, the evening's tastings just added up to my allotted wine allowance. After not having any wine for so long, it was lovely to taste a few nice (expensive!) reds. I've never been much a red-drinker before, but Leanne suggests on the plan, that if you're having a glass or two of alcohol a week, it should be red wine. I made sure to have several big glasses of water as Leanne suggests too. And let me tell you, there were so many yummy-looking appetizers... drool. Most of them I passed on, the quiches and cheese plates and such, and just had my boyfriend taste them and tell me how good they were. I know that might sound odd and a little torturous in a way, but I don't mind. They all looked so good, and a little smell and some running commentary from him are all I need, lol. There was a delicious mini trio of coloured beets that I sampled. I think I may have to make that appie for my dinner party with Tracy and Tristan. I had no idea I liked beets so much, they have a really nice earthy flavour. I also tried a bite of what I thought the waiter said was portobello and kimchi. Kimchi is a fermented spiced cabbage. That seemed like a safe option as well, but when I tasted it, something was off. Turns out that what I heard as 'portobello' was actually 'pork belly'. Omg. I haven't eaten meat in over 3 years, and here I am tricked into eating pork. Gross, lol. I stuck to watching my boyfriend try the appies after that. Overall the night was really great... a perfect date night, lovely venue, good music, new people to chat with, a few nice tastings... I didn't even feel deprived not being able to eat all the food. It's all about the mind set, I choose not to look at it as missing out on the food, and enjoy all the other senses instead. Also, while it was nice to have some wine as a special occasion, I don't feel like I need it every week, so while I can have a glass or two a week, I think I'll leave it as a treat.

I add back in dairy today after 5 weeks of not eating it, so that will be a nice change. Like with adding back in the flour, it's not a lot, only a couple times a week. I can't go around eating cheese like I used to or anything, but I will be able to have some yogurt for breakfast and a slice of low-fat cheese in my dark rye veggie sandwich. I didn't have any problems adding back in flour, so I hope there are no problems adding back in dairy. Would totally suck to find out I'm lactose intolerant or something.

My brother's birthday is today, we'll be going to Red Robin like we do every year since we were kids. I'm going to do some menu research so I'll be prepared. It's a 'high' day, so I can have some brown rice with my fish and a big side salad. That's what this new lifestyle change is all about, smart choices and pre-planning. I feel bad that I'll have to pass on the cake, but my family is really supportive of this decision to be healthy, so they'll understand. My health is worth more than cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment