Katharine's Progress

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Day 45 and Thoughts on Pad Thai

DAY 45. Tough workout last night. I'm not sure why, but I got a bit of a headache just after work which intensely magnified as the workout progressed. I ate all my meals that day and drank tons of water, so I can only guess it was just a bit of work stress. I was proud of myself for finishing, it was a particularly challenging heavy weights session, though I did have to slow my pace.

Had another workout this morning at 7 am with Eric. I wasn't sore from yesterday yet (probably the hot bath helped), but now I'll be double sore, lol. Seriously, I'm definitely feeling it now, I don't want to get up from my desk to go to my meeting.

After the workout last night, I jello'ed myself home (my new term for how I feel after an intense workout). The whole car ride home I debated whether I would just go to bed or make a nice dinner. Both overruled... I got right into a hot bubble bath and relaxed. After that I felt sooo much better so I attempted the healthy pad thai recipe I had researched earlier and had bought all the ingredients on my lunch hour for. So worth it! I used to have Thai for lunch at least once a week and I missed it. The place near my work makes the most fatteningly delicious pad thai and spring rolls. Mmm... I've been determined to find a recipe that would work for me and will continue to test them out til I find the perfect one. This one was actually super good, I made enough for dinner and lunch today, so I can enjoy it again later :)

I took a photo of the ingredients including egg whites, but didn't end up using them. You could put 1/3 cup scrambled egg whites as well though. Also, in terms of the exact measurements of veggies, I didn't really strictly follow that. I like tons of veggies to bulk recipes up and keep me full. You could switch with whatever other types you like.

My pad thai recipe (made 2 servings):
- 1 package Shirataki noodles
- 1 cup zucchini, julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/4 head of red cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 cup asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup green onions, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tsp chili powder, or more to taste
- teeny pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1" piece ginger, grated
- 1/4 block tofu
- 6 large shrimp
- olive oil spray
- 3 tbsp low sodium fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 lime
- optional: 2 tbsp crushed peanuts

I cooked my tofu and shrimp first then set aside. The noodles must be drained and rinsed, boiled for 2-3 minutes then drained and rinsed again. All the veggies along with vinegar, fish sauce, spices, garlic and ginger were thrown into a lightly olive oil sprayed wok pan. After about 5 minutes of cooking (they should still be a bit crisp), add in the noodles, shrimp and tofu. Let cook for a few more minutes. Serve with a fresh squeeze of lime and an optional sprinkling of crushed peanuts (I passed, enough flavours without them).


No comments:

Post a Comment