Katharine's Progress

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Day 38 and Thoughts on Shirataki noodles

DAY 38. Good TF+ group workout last night. There's something about sweating it out with others, you just naturally start to bond. It could be a shared love of hating the trainers, lol, just kidding (please don't hurt me next time Trainers!). It was definitely a challenging workout, plus the fact that I was still sore from Saturday morning's heavy weights session.

After the workout, I was pretty tired and sore, so I went home, made some really yummy southwest stirfry and baked halibut with salsa on the side, then took a deliciously relaxing bubble bath. I can't remember the last time I had one, and it was heaven. Lots of lavender bubbles, scented candles, some Enya playing in the background, and hot hot water.... who needs wine and cheesecake? this was bliss!

Every Saturday morning we do a weigh-in from home and email Leanne. She records the results for the week and adjusts our meal plans accordingly. On Monday, with the TF+ group, we do another weigh-in. There's always a bit of a discrepancy, as one is first thing in the morning and the other is at the end of the day, plus the Monday weigh-in comes after our Sunday 'high carb' day. I was a bit disappointed with my official weigh-in this week, I only lost a negligible amount by the TF scale. Although I was very happy that my home scale weigh-in on Saturday morning showed another 2.4 lbs loss this week (for a loss of 24.6 lbs so far).

This morning I made my usual green smoothie. I play around with the combinations some mornings, but usually its the same: 1 small banana, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 scoop protein powder, 2 cups of spinach or kale, or both mixed. I know it looks kind of gross, but I find them to be pretty good. Of course, this is coming from the woman who thinks that tofu tastes as good as chicken.

 

For lunch today I tried out Shirataki noodles in a stirfry with veggies, tofu, Chinese 5-spice, Bragg's seasoning and some sesame seeds. I first heard about them from a friend of mine who swore by them. Super low in calories, yet a great pasta alternative. According to Wikipedia...  "Shirataki noodles are very low carbohydrate, low calorie, thin, translucent Japanese noodles made from devil's tongue yam. Largely composed of water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber, they have little flavor of their own." They're packed in water and do have a peculiar smell when you open it, but if you rinse them, boil for 2-3 minutes, then rinse again, they can be used like normal cooked noodles and will absorb whatever flavours they're cooked in. This particular brand is a blend of Shirataki and tofu, as apparently the addition of tofu improves the texture. I haven't had lunch yet, so we shall see...


No comments:

Post a Comment